Wednesday, December 9, 2015
Some Considerations at the Gym
1) Based on the type of exercises I do at the gym, it is entirely possible people think I am recovering from some sort of sports injury. Should someone actually ask if that is indeed the case, I am prepared to answer that question with a question. "Have you heard of bobsledding?" or "Who would have thought water skiing could be dangerous?"
2) My son claims that now that I started going to the gym, I work that bit of information into every possible conversation. "You want a snack? Why just this morning at the gym..." It's just that as a conversation opener, it sounds more credible than: "Over a second helping of pecan pie..."
3) In Singapore, the gym is either freezing (somebody just left) or feels like a sauna (you're the first person there).
4) From the windows of the gym (never to be opened), you can see everything that's going on in the condo. You can spot the residents who wade in the pool fully dressed, leave the garbage right next to the bin, keep school buses waiting, car motors idling, smoke in the no smoking area, use the common condo showers instead of their own to save on hot water. You're like a human CCTV only on a treadmill.
5) The gym equipment indicating heart rate is very likely faulty. It's either that or I am having a heart attack.
6) Exercise induced allergic reaction is a real thing. Google it. This explains so much.
7) Fully dressed guy in blue jeans and long shirt working out next to me. One question. Why?
8) It's always a pleasant surprise to see the treadmill workout summary say "Good job" and not: "Are you crazy? Does your doctor know you're doing this?"
Posted by Jennifer