Saturday, October 22, 2016

Memorable Night at the Symphony

Victoria Concert Hall
Last night, as I listened to the Singapore Symphony Orchestra play Antonio Vivaldi's Four Seasons, I was once again a nine year old snowflake dancing on stage looking for my parents in the audience. Considering how nearsighted I was as a child, this was no easy feat. The music was the same, and yet so much more. An original program, directed by brilliant first violinist and concertmaster Igor Yuzefovich, presented each of the four seasons by Vivaldi followed by a magical composition of that same season by the Argentinian Astor Piazzolla. It was almost like Vivaldi and Piazzolla were having a riveting musical conversation that the audience by sheer luck was privy to. Yuzefovich's violin was pure beauty and the audience was literally on the edge of their seat listening with bated breath, afraid to miss a single note.
I admit to having a soft spot for Piazzolla but I was amazed at how his interpretation of Vivaldi's Four Seasons, something I had heard since childhood, made it something new, relevant and inspiring.
I am no longer that young ballerina wearing her very first pair of pointe ballet shoes but sometimes, when the music is perfect, I am reminded of her.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing! I want to go to their next concert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be looking out for this violinist. Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Singapore Symphony Orchestra!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there, too! And reading this, I have the feeling you watched me! I sat on the edge of my seat..holding breathe, tears in my eyes and totally captured and carried away by these outstanding musicians. You exactly describe how I experienced this magic evening. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you watch me? You describe exactly how I felt at this magical evening. Holding my breath with tears in my eyes. Afraid to miss a single note that these extraordinary musicians played. Thank you for this wonderful article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice to hear. It was a wonderful concert!

      Delete
    2. That's nice to hear. It was a wonderful concert!

      Delete